Crystallite: The Obsidian Chronicles- Levels
See Crystallite: The Obsidian Chronicles for game details
Because of the team's goals with Crystallite's successor, new levels needed to be created to support the new gameplay and enemy types. I used a custom component-based engine written in C++ that utilizes Lua for scripting.
One feature I really wanted to add to the successor was height in the floor to help make combat more interesting. However, due to physics, this was out of our scope. My challenge was to make flat planes interesting to traverse and fight in, while also showing the edgy aesthetic of the crystal cave. The different environment types were Dark Cave, Ice Cave, and Fire Cave.
The next challenge was designing around the camera. The characters could very easily get lost if the walls in the front were too close. I did a lot of testing to make sure that players did not get disoriented.
The Dark Caves are the most basic and traditional. They feature some thin areas with large arenas.
The Ice levels are more jagged with lots of pits and thing hallways. I found a way to create some visually pleasing pillars that would not block the players view.
Pavel's Quest is about a nomadic hunchback traveler named Pavel who awoke in a strange and silent snowy village. He notices a series of campfires, and is lead by them through the stirring snow to a mysterious lodge.
In addition to experimenting with leading the player through a world with a recurring object, I also investigated camera switching in Unity to really highlight the campfire element. In testing, players knew where to go, but when the camera would switch, the controls would change and caused some confusion. My plans for polishing this project include smoothing out the camera switching in addition to fixing the controls for a better player experience.
All assets were downloaded from the Unity Asset Store.
The Princesses' Escape- Board Map
See The Princesses' Escape for game details.
My goals was to create a themed map for my strategy board game, The Princesses' Escape. Because one player's goal is to escape, the board needed to be long. Because of the theme, I chose a tapestry aesthetic with hexagonal spaces to give the castle aesthetic and also give players more realistic movement.
The princesses work differently than the dragons, and I wanted to give each character type their own special boost, but in order to control when they could get these bonuses, I chose to put them on the map in specific spots instead of leaving it up to a randomized card deck. The princesses also get boosts in the middle area, but not the third area (opposite for the dragons). The black hexagon spaces are pillars, and once players move through the pillars into another area, the dragons in the previous area are "frozen". This simulates how in digital games, enemies will not follow the player through doors and occasionally, specific areas. There are also walls in the middle area, which provide more opportunity to practice strategy mid-game. These walls did not work so well in the final area, so I took them out because players wanted to focus on escaping more than fighting at that point.